The Dangers of Mold in your Air Conditioner
If mold is growing in your home in Dubai, it can release spores that can be easily inhaled. According to the CDC, “molds can cause nasal stuffiness, throat irritation, coughing or wheezing, eye irritation, or, in some cases, skin irritation. People with mold allergies may have more severe reactions. Immune-compromised people and people with chronic lung illnesses, such as obstructive lung disease, may get serious infections in their lungs when they are exposed to mold.”
Mold growing in an AC unit and ducts is not necessarily more dangerous than mold growing elsewhere in your home. However, the function of an air conditioner is to spread cool air throughout a room, and the purpose of the AC ducts is to distribute air throughout your home, this is why duct cleaning is so important. If they become contaminated with mold, they will efficiently distribute mold spores across an entire room or the entire villa or apartment. If the concentration of mold spores is high enough, you will have a mold problem everywhere, rather than in just one location, and you will be inhaling mold spores in every room, even while you sleep.
Once mold has started to grow in your AC duct, it will more than likely start to create a smell throughout your home when the AC is switched on, unless this is dealt with quickly this can cause even more health issues.
How Mold Grows in Air Conditioners
Even with the extreme heat in Dubai, the mold in your system thrives and is the reason why AC cleaning companies in Dubai are essential. Mold spores are everywhere. Unfortunately, it is impossible to get rid of all the mold spores in your home, and even if you did, more would come in every time you opened a door or window. When spores grow into mold, more spores are released, and these higher concentrations of spores are what cause the health problems associated with mold. Meaning that the key is to prevent the mold from growing in the first place which can be prevented with regular AC cleaning and duct cleaning.
Mold in your air conditioning needs two things in order to grow: moisture and an organic food source. Moisture can come from high humidity (which is very common in Dubai), or a leak or spill that is not cleaned up properly. Condenser and evaporator coils are the main contributors to condensation, and therefore have potential for water leakage if not properly drained. The food source can be the surface the mold is growing on, like wood or carpet, or organic particles found in dust, if there is enough of it.
How do I get rid of Mold inside my Air Conditioner in Dubai?
Mold growing in the ductwork of your central AC system will almost certainly require professional cleaning. The EPA suggests you shut off the system as soon as you notice mold to prevent it from spreading. The ducts will need to be vacuumed and cleaned, which could become very expensive and difficult if it has spread throughout the entire system. At Pro Clean AC we provide a comprehensive AC cleaning service at a very reasonable price. Our Google Reviews speak for themselves when it comes to the service we provide.
How do I Prevent Mold from Growing in my Air Conditioner and Ducts?
Controlling moisture is the key to preventing mold in air conditioners. Unfortunately, air conditioners can also be a source of moisture. Here are some steps you can take to control moisture when using an air conditioner in Dubai:
- When humid air is cooled in an air conditioner, the water vapor in the air condenses out of the air (cool air can hold less water than warm air, so the air is “wrung out” like a sponge).
- AC units should have drainage systems, which usually drain into a tray in Dubai. Drains and trays can become clogged by debris or build-up and result in significant flooding in your home.
- AC ducts tend to self-regulate moisture, because the air flow dries them out. Keep all grates and air returns unblocked and clean to allow air to flow properly to all parts of the system.
- Replace or clean air filters regularly. Clogged filters not only provide a food source for mold, but they can impede air flow.
- Never introduce moisture to your AC system. Duct cleaning should be dry vacuuming or dry wiping, never water. Which is why we use industry leading machines to provide our customers with an excellent cleaning service.